Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 8.05.46 PM

What if I told you a bunch of beauty bloggers reflects a great, new and culture-altering phenomenon?

A report was just published that proves what we, in the tech business, have known for quite a long time: beauty bloggers, particularly beauty vloggers, are proving more influential than “celebrity” make-up artists.  You can’t troll YouTube without coming across dozens of popular, no, beloved, YouTube beauty experts.  I’ve been friendly with Michelle Phan over the years and seen her meteoritic rise into a mega star and powerhouse first hand.

What’s interesting about this information isn’t so much that there is a shift towards beauty bloggers, but rather why there’s the shift.  As the report points out, and viewers recognize immediately, these beauty mavens are very personable and, more importantly, real.  They usually use make-up to transform themselves.  They are not applying cosmetics and their tips and tricks to gorgeous models with smooth skin, high cheekbones and tiny pores.  Instead they are starting with a canvas that most people can relate to: a normal one.

Why should you care?  I guess if you’re searching for the best Oscar look to match your complexion, I can see why switching to beauty bloggers can help.  I’ve actually met a few of them over the years and they are pretty talented wonderful people.  But let’s be honest, for many of you readers, you probably couldn’t give a rat’s ass about them.

Ah, but you should care.

This shift from aloof beauty experts partnering with perfect models to more realistic, more relatable beauty-how-to stars reflects the larger shift that the digital space has offered, even demanded, of us all.  Whether we are promoting our businesses or our personal brands, the digital space expects us to be real, human and, well, splotchy sometimes.  To present our companies or ourselves as shiny, perfect, aloof and inhuman beings will only get us so far.

I actually spoke about this very point — albeit, in slightly different ways, at Social Media Week a few days ago.  I had the privilege of sharing the stage with my friend, and founder and president of TheSocialArchitects, Donnetta Campbell, where we talked about how peer to peer social can transform corporate brands (see pic below).  Social media and the digital space in general has changed how we communicate as brands and human beings.  While I observe this first hand, I learned this through extensive anthropological research we conducted a year ago.  What stands out to me is how vulnerable, real and raw we are all allowed to be.  Thanks to the real-time and highly visual nature of it all, this space is unfiltered, and highly emotive.  Remember how Carrie Fisher responded to nasty comments about her weight on Twitter  after the new Star Wars?  She struck back in a real and honest way.

Not only can we feel free to be imperfect in the social space, we should be!  Brand executives often tell me they are nervous about entering the social space because they could “lose control of their brands.”  Or they may screw up and “say” the wrong thing.  My response? People want to see the humanity behind the brands.  And that includes their screw ups — as long as brands come clean about them.

What’s so great about these new forms of communication is that they are beginning to pervade all aspects of our lives — online and off.  I truly believe we are going to see brands — all of us for that matter — feel freer to lose our veneers and be more open, honest and real.  Of course some of us could be a bit too real (ah, Kanye, ahem).  But I would take a bit of rawness over phony any day :).

image3

Showing 13 comments
  • Jacqueline

The most effective psychic solutions are those that attract all types of customers via extra web site advantages that are both academic
    and also interesting.

• RositaOIsacs

Wonderful website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any user
    discussion forums that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get comments
    from other knowledgeable individuals that share the same interest.
    If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks
    a lot!

What i do not understood is actually how you
    are no longer really a lot more smartly-preferred than you may be now.
    You are very intelligent. You recognize thus significantly on the subject
    of this topic, produced me in my opinion consider it from so many numerous angles.
    Its like men and women aren’t involved unless it’s one
    thing to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. All
    the time take care of it up!

• minecraft mods youtube

Including 34 different mods, this huge Yog – Box mod pack turns vanilla
    Minecraft into a completely new experience. Is there
    a strategy to force minecraft to play with what’s there instead of downloading the
    updates while playing.xt% minecraft texture packs 1.7.2

Including 34 different mods, this huge Yog – Box mod pack turns vanilla Minecraft into a
    completely new experience. Is there a strategy to force minecraft to play with what’s there instead of downloading
    the updates while playing.xt%

• quality sofa sleeper

Some kid’s suites also provide an additional sleeper sofa which is typically large enough two additional children. I know because I have young children who’ve stained my sofa
    with assorted fluids including urine, juice and vomit.

Especially when you’ve got white colored sofa since it gets dirty very easily.

While that takes place, the temperature control feature also prevents the sleeper sofa
    mattress to be too hot or cold. An simple and easy , inexpensive strategy to remove
    most stains out of your sofa is to use a mixture of baking soda contributing to one tablespoon of club soda.

• whereas

where can i buy whey protein powder chocolate whey protein

• Carissa

We anticipate the possibility of sharing our grass
    treatment experience with you.

• Scot

Business recommend fertilizing your yard a couple of times a year to aid it grow thick, however way too much plant food can harm your lawn.

• Laurie

Do this given that having a specialized business phone and business
    cards aids to identify your solution business as a genuine
    and also expert lawn treatment business psychological of your clients.

• Rod

There should be a process that is complied with at each grass, from cutting the grass so it looks
    its finest, to cleaning up the commercial property prior to you leave.

• Woodrow

Side note: they never do it right so STOP IT Boeing employees – you’re visiting be
    SCREWED come tax time!

• Teddy

However regardless of what is done, tax obligation or
    no tax obligation, word-of-mouth or advertising and marketing invitations, Americans’ cravings for particular food things will certainly not
    be transformed by a tax.

Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment
    (it was super long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I
    had written and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well
    am an aspiring blog writer but I’m still new to the whole
    thing. Do you have any suggestions for inexperienced blog writers?
    I’d certainly appreciate it.